Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Moisture from Shea Moisture...

Sssoooo...I decided to take advantage of the BOGO at Walgreens last week (end of Mar - beg of Apr) on the Shea Moisture products because I had been hearing so many fellow naturals raving about how good it is and how much they love this one and that one.  The only ones I was able to purchase from my Walgreens here in town were the Moisture Retention Shampoo & the Deep Treatment Masque.  I also wanted to try the leave in and the elixir, but I had to order them from Amazon (paid triple the price!!) b/c my Walgreens didn't have them.  Anywho, I need your opinion(s)...

Now, I know you can't jump to a judgement too quickly b/c you have to give your hair enough time to react to a change in product(s).  On the first go round, I think I like the shampoo, but was NOT too happy w/ the masque.  I used the shampoo while I still had my nubian twists in so that I could really get to my scalp for a good cleansing.  I like the smell and how it felt on my head, but I can't really say how my hair strands felt since they were covered by the twists.  I proceeded to condition, remove my nubian twists and detangle, as usual, w/ Garnier Triple Nutrition.  My hair still felt pretty good while wet, but once dry (sections began to dry as I continued removing twists around my head)...my hair was DRY!!  I think I may have to give up the Garnier...it feels good while wet, but my hair gets crunchy once dry (that's another story for another day!).  I tried to rinse most of the Garnier out since my hair felt so crunchy, then I followed up w/ a DC using Beauticurls Curl Enhancing Moisturizer Treatment (15-20 mins under heated cap) and rinse out.  Once I white t-shirt blotted semi-dry, I spritzed w/ my ayuverdic-distilled H2O infusion and Oyin Frank Juice for a refreshment and to remoisturize and sealed w/ my ayuverdic oil infusion...so, once again, my hair felt pretty good, but I would QUICKLY be disappointed all over again!

Anyway, on to the next one...the masque!  Did I mention that I WAS NOT HAPPY with it???  I planned on using it as my leave-in/styler b/c you can use it as either a DC or styler.  I don't know if it was the technique or what, but I tried using CN's (Curly Nikki) advice about waiting to put moisturizers, leave-ins, or stylers on damp or semi-damp hair (versus dripping wet - which is what I used to do) to better benefit from the product or allow the product to really work on your hair instead of on all the water in your head...if this process is a tell-tale sign about this product, then it is NOT a good one!  My hair felt like HAY...NOT GOOD!!!  I was like OH, HECK NAW...let me get this crap outta my hair!!!  I didn't want to go through the whole process of co-wash, DC, moisturize ALL OVER AGAIN!  So, I just refreshed my hair w/ distilled H2O and sealed w/ the Oyin BSP (burnt sugar pomade); then, used KCCC to do single strand twists.

Through ALL of that, will I give it another try?  OF COURSE!  I can't just give up on it from one try, but I will try it on soaking wet hair next time to see if there's a difference.  So, what's your take on any of the Shea Moisture products?

1 comment:

  1. I tried the masque as a DC on soaking wet hair...NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! Anybody want a free gift???...It has to go :(

    ReplyDelete