Friday, May 6, 2011

My Protective Style for May

So, have any of you heard of Chicoro and her book Grow It!??? I recently purchased and have been reading it. I sneak in little sections during the little time I have between class readings ;-) It is a quick read, so it shouldn't take me long to finish. I am impressed with the amount of informative explanations she provides. I got through the section where she talks about dry and wet detangling and the process for each. I NEVER thought I would be one to dry detangle, but after reading that section, I decided to give it a try on my twist-out-wash-n-go (I JUST MADE UP MY OWN HAIRSTYLE...LOL). Here is what I did:

I decided to take out week long twists that I had in because they started to look a bit rough for my liking and plus I wanted to do a product review of My HoneyChild's Honeynutt and Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment. After I cowashed w/ the twists still in, I used Honeynutt to untwist & semi-detangle while I was in the shower. Once I got them untwisted and out of the shower, I used Jessicurl as my DC for a little over an hour (30 min of low heat w/n that time). I rinsed all that out and used KCKT as my leave-in, pulled my hair up using a knee-high stocking and did the baggie-method overnight (since hair was still wet). So, Thurs morning I ended up rocking my twist-out-wash-n-go (TOWNG) UNTIL I got bored during class and decided to try out Chicoro's advice about dry detangling.

Real quick product review: Honeynutt was ok...I say ok b/c it was very thin and I prefer thicker, creamier conditioners. It did pretty well with detangling. That was the first time I tried it. The next time I use it, it will be as a DC b/c directions say you can use it as both a detangler and bi-weekly DC. I loved the Jessicurl!! I will definately be using it again, but it will be alternatively with my homemade DCs and sparingly b/c it is a bit more pricey than I like to pay.

Anyway, as I sat in class unevitably getting more and more bored, I began to dry detangle and retwist my hair in smaller twists (YES, I did it during class from about 8-3, but I was still paying attention!...of course, there were breaks in between. I didn't completely finish til midnight that night).. I wish I had come across this book a LONG time ago b/c I probably could have retained much more length had I NOT been rippin through my tangles. I NOW know I have to take my time and comfort PRECIOUS and slowly separate and work each strand aloose from the other. It takes a while, but I believe its worth growth retention in the end! I hope this helps the next niave natural :) No since draggin this out, here are the results...




My goal is to try to make these last til the end of the month (hence, the TITLE), but anybody who knows me knows that this is a challenge in & of itself b/c I get bored with styles easily and will be wanting to try something new w/n a wk or so...

No comments:

Post a Comment